After doing some Pinterest inspiration I came up with my own version using ingredients that might not be typically Mexican, but are flavors I like.
We’re not very familiar with taco salads or tortilla salad bowls in the Netherlands. For the bowls I improvised and used my brioche tin and baked the tortillas in the oven.
- Ingredients for 6-8 tortilla salad bowls:
- 6-8 small tortilla wraps (don’t use mini wraps)
- 1 small can of corn (200g / 160g drained), drained
- 1 small can of black beans (200g / 130g drained), rinsed and drained
- 1 Coeur de Boeuf tomato, chopped
- ½ cucumber
- 2 mini oranje peppers, chopped
- 125g butterhead lettuce, chopped
- ½ Tbs green jalapeno, chopped
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- ½ ts taco seasoning, bbq seasoning or rub
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 4 Tbs sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- Mature cheese, chopped or grated
- Flavorless oil for pan frying
You can make the bowls well in advance.
Preheat the oven at 300°F/150 °C fan assisted. Warm a tortilla for 20 seconds in the microwave or until just soft in a dry pan.
Brush one side with oil and place the oiled side down in the brioche tin. Arrange the folds and bake in the center of the oven for 7 minutes.
Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack. The bowls will harden more while cooling.
Cut the chicken into small pieces. Mix the spices with a tablespoon of oil and toss with the chicken. Fry the chicken in some more oil in a skillet on medium heat until nicely browned and cooked through.
I cooked the chicken in advance and used it cold on top of my salad.
Peel the cucumbur, cut into quarters length ways, remove the seeds and cut into small pieces. Mix with the tomato, corn, black beans, peppers and jalapeno.
Because the vegetables retain quite some moisture I keep them separate from the lettuce until just before serving.
Mix the mayonnaise with the sour cream to make a dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
Tortilla salad bowls
Mix the lettuce with the rest of the vegetables and use as much dressing as you like. Spoon the salad into the bowls and top with the chicken and cheese.
We had tortilla bowls as a dinner salad, but it works just as well as a starter or side dish.