This is one of my versions of fried rice. I tend to vary this dish from many ingredients to just a few.
The list of ingredients might seem long, but it’s all fairly simple to make. Just have everything prepped and ready to use. You could skip the sticky pork belly slices and make a vegetarian version.
- Ingredients for 2:
- 1 small carrot cut into small thing strips
- Cold steamed rice (for 2 I use 3/4 cup uncooked rice)
- 1 egg
- Couple of tablespoons of corn (tinned)
- Couple of tablespoons of peas (frozen)
- 1-2 green onion cut into thin strips
- 2-4 Sticky pork belly slices cut into bitesize pieces
- 1-2 Tbs Soy sauce and a few drops of sesame oil
- Optional: Sriracha
- Neutral oil
- Ingredients for sticky pork belly slices:
- 2-4 thin slices of pork belly (without skin)
- 1 Tbs Shao Xing rice wine or sherry
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs ketchup
- Ingredients for the corn fritters:
- 1 jar of corn
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 ts baking powder
- 1 ts curry powder
- Pepper and salt
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- Pan with oil for deep frying
For convenience a complete list of all the ingredients, the recipes for the corn fritters and sticky pork belly can be found here and here.
Prepare the rice well in advance so it’s nice and cold once you start making the fried rice.
In the meantime you can make the corn fritters and the pork belly. Instead of pan frying the corn fritters like I usually do, I deep fried them. I kept a couple of tablespoons of corn seperate for the fried rice and used the rest for the fritters. I adjusted the flour and yoghurt to half a cup. But if you use the whole jar, you can use the regular recipe.
Heat the fryer to 340°F/170°C, lower the basket or the fritters will get stuck. Use to spoons to gently lower little balls of batter into the oil. Fry until golden brown and drain on paper towel.
Then finally the making of the fried rice.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan or wok. Warm through and fry the carrot until it’s slightly softened.
Add the rice and fry this on a high heat. Make sure to loosen the rice and heat through. Add an egg on top and break this up with a spatula. Stir fry the egg through the rice until cooked.
Add the frozen peas, corn and pork belly. Heat through and add the green onion, soy sauce and sesame oil to taste.
For a little kick I serve a bit of sriracha on top. You could also fry some chili’s with the rice for extra heat.
Although they aren’t Asian, the corn fritters work perfectly with this dish. You can add them hot or cold.